the waters prevailed so mightly..." - Genesis 7:20
Six short days before No Mercy, John Cena suffered a torn pectoral muscle
during a match with Mr. Kennedy on Raw. Since this injury would sideline him
anywhere from six months to a year, Vince stripped him of the title
and announced a new champion would be crowned at No Mercy. Well, at least that
was the idea. Anyway, this year's No Mercy took place at the Allstate Arena in
Rosemonth, Illinois on October 7, 2007. Here's the card:
- Mr. McMahon Presents the WWE
Championship To Randy Orton
- I thought it was pretty funny when Vince said he was going to give the
fans what they wanted and they started chanting "Y2J", cementing
Chris Jericho's return as one of the worst kept secrets in the history of
- WWE Championship Match [Randy Orton
vs. Triple H]
- Well, this match right here sums up one of the many things that is wrong
with the WWE. On the one hand, HHH is a hard worker who puts on a helluva
show in the ring. On the other, it's wonderful to have some variety in
wrestling and not have it be so predictable. I mean, was anyone actually surprised that HHH made
a beeline to the ring to get involved in the chase for the championship? Was
anyone surprised that no one else other than HHH did? Yeah, thought so.
- 6-Man Tag Team Match [Jeff
Hardy, Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. Mr. Kennedy, Lance Cade & Trevor
- Lillian bills this as a "special bonus match". Why? I have no idea.
I also have no idea why London and Kendrick were involved in this match.
Watching them bounce around the ring like pinballs on cocaine was
but they're hardly ever featured on Raw. (They are on Raw, right?) Also, is
it me or does Jeff Hardy always seem as if he's just finished running a 45 mile marathon
when he enters the ring?
- Batista Congratulates Triple H
After His Match
- ECW Championship Match [CM
Punk vs. Big Daddy V]
- This is the first time i've seen Viscera since he was
repackaged, and I sincerely hope this is the last time I see "Big Daddy V"
in action. I kept thinking to myself "If he ever gets tired of smacking Punk
with his hands, he could always use his manboobs". And while I might not understand the fan's reaction to CM Punk,
the outcome of this match should come as no surprise - regardless if
Punk was in his hometown or not.
- MVP & Matt Hardy Chicago Deep
Dish Pizza Competitive Eating Contest
- I know i'm expecting a lot when it comes to "sense" in wrestling, but does
it makes sense to have two Raw Divas (Melina & Maria) judge a SmackDown!
match? As for the "match" itself...it made me ill. Perhaps Matt having an
appendectomy might actually have been a good thing? I mean, to continue having to
participate in "contests" instead of wrestle?
- WWE Championship Match [Triple
H vs. Umaga]
- HHH's second match for the evening was pretty much what I thought it would
be. Uneventful and unsurprising.
- Great Khali Pre-match
- Rey Mysterio vs. Finlay
- I thought Rey was still looking slightly chunky and he still seems to have
some slight ring rust. Heck, the fact that Finlay can keep up with him
should help confirm that
- Triple H Getting Looked At In the
- While a medic is examining HHH backstage, Vince comes in to tell him that Randy has
requested his title rematch for the end of the evening.
- WWE Women's Championship Match [Candice
Michelle vs. Beth Phoenix]
- Believe it or not, I watch these PPVs twice. The first time, to enjoy
while jotting down the occasional note; the second, to tight those nots up
and get more specific. So when I first watched this, I wrote "first time in five years that the match has been up for grabs".
Now, i'm pretty sure JR said it, but I have no idea why I wrote it or why it matters, since
the women's "championship" is pretty much a joke these days (as is the Tag
Team championship). However, I was pleased with the outcome of this match.
Not that it matters.
- Punjabi Prison Match For the
World Heavyweight Championship [Batista vs. Great Khali]
- In theory, I usual mark out for these gimmick matches that feature
structures which enhance the square circle. This is the second time i've seen
the "Punjabi Prison". It's also the second time that i've been unimpressed.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the wrestlers involved and not the
structure itself. I don't have much of a problem with Dave that some
wrestling fans seem to have, but I really, really hate watching Khali "wrestle".
Hell, he would make the Big Show and Andre the Giant look like a cross
between RVD, Mysterio and Bret Hart.
- Todd Grisham Interviews Triple
- Last Man Standing Match For
the WWE Championship [Triple H vs. Randy Orton]
- I admit it - i'm tired of HHH hogging the spotlight, but damn if he
doesn't act as if he's putting it all out there. His third match of the
evening was probably the best.
- John Cena Surgery Package
- In case you were wondering why the "champ" wasn't there.
- Batista Interview After
Punjabi Prison Match For the World Heavyweight Championship
- Not much here other than Dave saying he's happy.
- Mr. McMahon Congratulates
Randy Orton On His WWE Championship
- Raw - 10/0/07
- During yet another "ceremony" on Raw, another longtime wrestler makes his
No Mercy's picture was colorful and vibrant, per the usual WWE
presentation. It's also in their standard full frame 1.33:1 ratio.
Audio: The Dolby Digital 5.1 was crystal clear and seemed to envelop my
living room. And, though Hugo and Carlos are no longer ringside, there's still
an option to listen to No Mercy in Espaņol.
Conclusion: When all is said and done, Vince wasn't lying - there was
a new champion crowned. It's just a shame he didn't take the opportunity to give
other WWE stars a chance to shine. In fact, the outcome of this PPV probably
wouldn't have bothered me as much as if the mere possibility of winning the
championship was within anyone's grasp. In the end, nothing really changed and
the status quo remained the same. However, i'll still give this a Recommended
rating. Hey, breeding contempt takes time.