|Reviews & Columns|
TV on DVD
Reviews by Studio
Collector Series DVDs
Easter Egg Database
DVD Talk Radio
The M.O.D. Squad
DVD Talk Forum
DVD Price Search|
Customer Service #'s
WWE: Best of Raw & Smackdown 2013
Every year WWE puts out a set that boasts the title of "Best of RAW and Smackdown" with nearly 8 hours of promo's and matches that are supposed to show of the best of WWE's product. In 2013, WWE had a pretty average year, there were some definite highlights, but at the same time recycled/boring feuds. Is this set truly the best WWE had to offer last year?
- CM Punk vs Ryback - TLC match for the WWE Championship.
- Big Show vs Alberto Del Rio - Last Man Standing for the World Heavyweight Championship.
- The Rock and CM Punk's verbal battle.
- Paul Heyman/Vince McMahon confrontation.
- John Cena vs CM Punk - Winner faces The Rock at WrestleMania 29.
- The Rock/John Cena - Point/Counter point.
- CM Punk disrespects the memory of Paul Bearer.
- Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger and Paul Heyman.
- Dolph Ziggler cashes in Money in the Bank.
- Kofi Kingston vs Fandango.
- Sheamus and Randy Orton vs Mark Henry and Big Show.
- Undertaker, Kane and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield.
- Brock Lesnar destroys HHH's office.
- Curtis Axel vs Chris Jericho.
- Mark Henry's retirement speech.
- Daniel Bryan vs Rndy Orton - Street fight.
- Alberto Del Rio's championship fiesta.
- AJ Lee and Kaitlyn's contract signing.
- The Wyatt family makes a statement.
- Damien Sandow searches for his briefcase.
- Rob Van Dam vs Randy Orton.
- Miz TV with John Cena and Daniel Bryan.
- Santino vs Antonio Cesaro.
- Big Show face off against The Shield.
- Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, and Goldust vs The Shield.
- The Shield vs Cody Rhodes/Goldust - No DQ match for the Tag Team championship.
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs Antonio Cesaro, Jack Swagger and Damien Sandow.
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield.
- The Championship Ascension Ceremony.
When I look over the list of content, it kind of baffles me that this is the best that WWE could come up with for the supposed "best" moments of their product. The majority of the content on here that ranges from bad to mediocre, with a lot of it having no place on a "best of" DVD. For example there are numerous matches that are something like 7 minutes or less, and never really get going to be considered anything above average, Goldust/Rhodes/Bryan vs The Shield or Curtis Axel vs Chris Jericho are good examples. Then we have the matches/segments that have no reason of being on here like Santino vs Cesaro, Kofi Kingston vs Fandango, Wyatt Family makes a statement, and Brock Lesnar in HHH's office.
With that said, there are some terrific choices on this set... the standout moments/matches are CM Punk vs John Cena, which was one of the best matches on Raw in the last 5 or so years. Dolph Ziggler cashing in his MITB was a special moment for fans of his (although this has been slightly diminished at the fact that he is now at the bottom of the card after losing the title due to a concussionless than a month later.) The Shield vs Rhodes and Goldust for the tag titles was a fantastic matchup that showed off the best of the teams. A few of the fantastic promos that everyone buying this set should check out are Mark Henry's retirement speech, the Ascension ceremony, and pretty much anything featuring The Rock.
Video and Audio
The video transfer for the set is pretty standard for recent WWE releases. While nothing groundbreaking, it certainly gets the job done for this release.
For audio, The English 5.1 track was very clear. No noticeable distortions at all during the commentary or the fan chants.
WWE had a solid to mediocre year, and while this set at times does in fact shows off the best of it, it's also bloated with a lot filler and average matches/promo's that have no business being present on the DVD. rent it.