by Brian Nicholson
Another year has come to a close, and it's time for another one of those top ten lists. But this is better than most other top ten lists, since it contains naked girls doing naughty things! So without further ado here are The Blue Room picks for "Top Ten Adult DVD Releases of 2003"!
1. No Limits - If you were to slip this Nic Andrews film into your DVD player without forehand knowledge it was a porn film, you'd probably believe you were watching a mainstream feature up until the point where the sexual action started. Andrews proves with No Limits that he is the best director working in adult film right now, with a story that borrows heavily from David Fincher's The Game. Digital Playground contract star Devon is featured as the lead, while Jessica Drake and Brittney Skye have supporting roles and Jesse Jane makes her adult debut. Extras include a great commentary track from Andrews, Devon and co-star Mike Horner; plus extended footage from Jesse's debut scene, a look at the special effects, plus a funny blooper that the crew played on Andrews during the shoot. Although the extras aren't as extensive as some of the other DVDs on this list, No Limits delivered far and away the most interesting and involving storyline porn saw in all of 2003 - and for that reason, it gets The Blue Room's vote for Adult DVD of the Year!
2.Space Nuts - In terms of bonus material, the only adult DVD bigger than Wicked's Hercules was Wicked's Space Nuts. Spoofing everything from Star Wars to Gladiator, this big-budget adult film featured special effects that might not have been up to George Lucas' standards, but would certainly rival anything you've seen on the Sci-Fi Channel. The film is also presented on DVD in anamorphic widescreen and includes a picture-in-picture running commentary track from the director and stars - quite similar to the kind of commentary track Kevin Smith did for some of his DVD releases - where you can see the people as they comment on the film. Also included on this 2-DVD set is a plethora of behind the scenes material, interviews, deleted scenes, rehearsal reels, Easter Eggs and pretty much a galaxy's worth of adult entertainment.
3. The Fashionistas - The VHS version of the Evil Angel movie was one of the most-awarded titles in 2002. With the DVD release of the film in early 2003, fans got even more with a 4-disc set that includes the 4-hour, 38 minute film over the first two DVDs, a bonus disc jammed with extra material, and a CD of the film's soundtrack. Although the film focuses on male star Rocco Siffredi's sexual encounters within the world of fashion design, the real star of the film is a young Belladonna - who was only another up and coming starlet when this movie was made, but seemed to launch to superstardom with the release of The Fashionistas (which just by lucky chance happened at the same time Bella made a controversial appearance on ABC's Prime Time Live).
4.Rawhide - Adam & Eve Pictures journeys to the Old West in this epic starring blonde-haired Carmen Luvana as a young woman who has inherited a ranch and must now decide whether she will sale it to an evil businessman or keep it in the family. While many adult films are geared toward couples, Rawhide is one of the few that has female in mind before the men - providing an interesting plot, lavish locales and romantic sex for the home viewer. Nicely packaged in a fold-out pouch that reminds one of those days of yesteryear, the special edition of Rawhide includes a bonus DVD filled with extra material, a booklet that is actually hand-signed by Carmen Luvana, plus a CD of the movie's soundtrack.
5.Hercules - This ain't the Disney film, folks! It's Wicked Pictures slapstick take on the legend, played goofily by porn stud Evan Stone. Even more impressive than the movie is the amount of bonus material that Wicked has jammed onto this 2-DVD set. Disc One includes the 2 hour, 20 minute film, a director's commentary, and the complete shooting script; while over on Disc Two, viewers get a making-of featurette, pre-production materials, bloopers, deleted scenes, an alternate ending, interviews, trailers, slide shows and plenty more. It's truly a set of…ahem…Herculean proportions!
6. No Cum Dodging Allowed - Although far from the best choice for couples, Red Light District's No Cum Dodging Allowed was a godsend for viewers who love their porn hard and nasty. Director Mike John introduces us to some of adult's freshest (and hottest!) young talent, and then not only gets them to get naughty in front of the camera, but gets them to swallow every cumshot as well…with multiple pop-shots for each girl on the DVD! No, you don't want your wife or significant other catching you watching this…but keep this one close to the DVD player for when she goes out shopping!
7. I Dream Of Jenna - The Queen of All Things Porn, Miss Jenna Jameson gave fans a special treat in this 2-DVD set that had her spoofing the classic TV show "I Dream of Jeannie". Filled with both comedy and well-filmed sex, fans of Jenna got their money's worth and more. The extras also include commentary with Jenna and director Justin Sterling (Jenna's real-life hubby), behind the scenes material, bonus scenes, bloopers, and perhaps the most creative and humorous menus you'll see on an adult DVD release.
8. Jesse Jane: Erotique - One of the sexiest adult performers to make her debut in 2003 gives her best performances to date in this Nic Andrews vignette film. Jesse opens with a wild girl on girl scene with Belladonna, and later in the movie performs with Dick Delaware in front of a group of people at a big orgy party (think Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut). Jesse impresses yet again with a movie-ending segment in the desert with Jessica Jaymes. With a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen transfer, 5.1 Dolby Sound, a director's commentary (that includes Jesse as well), and behind the scenes footage - this proved to be one of the most entertaining discs of the year.
9. The Scottish Loveknot: Special Edition - This Private release was noteworthy because it marked the first time a major adult film studio had filmed on location in Scotland. With great footage of the Scottish Highlands and Loch Ness, plus beautiful women like Australian Jodie Moore, this proved to be one of the more visually pleasing adult releases of the year. The 2-disc special edition of this title includes a second DVD that is loaded with bonus footage, such as behind the scenes segments, bloopers, alternate edits of scenes and more.
10. Debbie Does Dallas: The Revenge - Vivid Pictures and director Paul Thomas decided to reintroduce one of the most popular characters in porn history with this update starring Sunrise Adams. The plot was simple, but the sex was intense - making this a great introductory DVD for those new to the porn world. Extras included a nice selection of bonus scenes from other Vivid DVDs (many of them including Sunrise), plus a rarity in the porn world - a trailer for the mainstream release Wonderland, starring Val Kilmer as the legendary porn actor John Holmes.
All The DVDs mentioned in this column can be purchased at AdultDVDEmpire.com - DVD Talk's Exclusive Adult DVD Store.